The HBFA Story
Our story began in 1899.
Fruit trees were first planted in Sturm’s Gully on Bluff Hill during the 1840’s.
It was the actions of pioneer settlers that transformed the Heretaunga Plains from an unused wasteland, into a rich, productive plain. Unavailability of land and the lack of roads severely restricted development in the early settlement years. It took nearly half a century from the first time fruit trees were planted until serious attempts at establishing a fruitgrowing industry were made.